My research interests centre around typed functional programming languages, in particular functional approaches to concurrency, web programming, and data management.
Previously, I spent 6 years at the University of Edinburgh School of Informatics, first as a PhD student in the Centre for Doctoral Training in Pervasive Parallelism working with Sam Lindley and Philip Wadler, and second as a Research Software Engineer working with James Cheney. I've also worked at OCaml Labs and IntelliFactory.
Feel free to get in touch: you can reach me at simon.fowler -at- glasgow.ac.uk or simon -at- simonjf.com.
I am generally happy to act as an external reviewer for papers matching my research interests, provided that I can see other reviews and participate in the discussion after submitting my review.
- (29th July 2020): I'll be serving on the LIVE 2020 PC. Please consider submitting (deadline: 4th September 2020).
- (12th June 2020): Excited to announce that in September, I will be joining the University of Glasgow School of Computing Science to work on session types for distribution-friendly programming paradigms.
- (9th April 2020): Model-View-Update-Communicate: Session Types meet the Elm Architecture has been accepted to ECOOP 2020!
- (11th February 2020): Language-Integrated Updatable Views, with Rudi Horn and James Cheney, has been accepted for the IFL 2019 post-proceedings!
- (11th February 2020): I will be serving on the ICE 2020 programme committee. Please consider submitting a paper!
- (24th October 2019): Delighted to have been chosen as an OOPSLA AEC Distinguished Reviewer!
- My First Artifact: An author's perspective on the POPL'19 Artifact Evaluation process
cmm_of_wasm: From WebAssembly to Native Code via the OCaml Backend
- Session types in programming languages---a collection of implementations
Comments on drafts are always very welcome!
- LIVE 2020 (Programme Committee)
- ICE 2020 (Programme Committee)
- ProWeb 2020 (Co-chair)
- ICE 2019 (Programme Committee)
- OOPSLA 2019 (Artifact Evaluation Committee) (Distinguished reviewer award)
- PLACES 2019 (Programme Committee)
- Scottish Programming Languages Seminar (SPLS), 11th October 2017 (co-organised with Craig McLaughlin)
- Scottish Programming Languages Seminar (SPLS), 21st October 2015 (co-organised with Sam Lindley and James McKinna)